The existence of the different navigation system equipment has undeniably been playing important roles in ships onboard. Such ship instruments are capable of diverse functions that definitely aid in navigational operation and other onboard affairs.
Evidently, gone are the days that most ships or vessels have to find help or assistance in offbeat and too conventional ways of planning and navigating voyage at sea. But ships nowadays have been constantly exposed to a myriad of navigation system equipment. Basically, in order to make life at sea a lot easier, more convenient, and time-saving. Such changes in the marine field take place because of the technological advancements that are consistently cropping up.
Aside from that, seafarer these days have been training and been educated with the operations of the modernized navigation system equipment. Not to argue, with the up-to-date ship equipment, most vessels today are now capable of performing with competence. As well, recording and providing more accurate data and statistics for the voyage and other significant scopes relating to the ship’s daily navigational operation.
Generally, it has been noted that navigation system equipment may be able to perform or administer the following:
- Incorporating locations or maps that may be visible in human-readable form by way of text or through a graphical format
- Identifying the vessel or ship’s location by means of maps, sensors, or data from external sources
- Providing recommended directions to the person-in-charge of the vessel, which could be done through speech or text
- Administering directions or instructions precisely to a self-governing machine like the guided missile or robotic probe
- Providing data on neighboring ships or vessels, or other perils or threats
- Giving information regarding traffic conditions and indicating substitute directions
Kinds of Navigation Systems
Satelite Navigation System is comprising the GPS or Global Positioning System. Such is a group of computers and satellites that administer data about the vessel’s location through a GPS receiver. The Global Positioning System device is tool receiving GPS signals to determine the location of the device. It can also possibly suggests or provide directions. Moreover, Russia has been operating another satellite navigation system called GLONASS and also the Galileo worldwide navigation satellite system.
The Surgical Navigation System is a system known to pinpoint or identify the position or surgical tools, relating to patient images such as MRI and CT scans.
The Inertial Guidance System is another navigation system equipment. It has the role of consistently identifying orientation, velocity, and position of any moving subject without the necessary external reference.
The Robotic Mapping is a kind of measure or device that is a self-ruling robot. It has the ability to construct or use floor plan or map. And, to confine itself within it.
Another type of navigation system equipment is the Automotive Navigation System and Marine Navigation System.
With today’s state-of-the-art automation, every ship or vessel nowadays are exposing and adapting to the advanced navigation system equipment. Essentially, in order to provide a precise voyage data.
- Magnetic compass
- Gyro Compass
- Automatic Radar Plotting Aid
- Auto Pilot
- Speed and Long Distance Log Device
- Automatic Tracking Aid
- Echo Sounder
- ECDIS – Electronic Chart Display Information System
- Automatic Identification System
- Long Range Tracking and Identification System
- Voyage Data Recorder
- Rudder Angle Indicator
- Rate of Turn Indicator
- GPS Receiver
- Navigational Lights
- Sound Reception System
- Ship whistle/boatswain’s call
These are just some of the many navigation system’s pieces of equipment, which ships have been using nowadays.