Imperatively, Preventative Maintenance is one thing that keeps any ship’s equipment or machinery in their functionality state.
Regardless of how large or small the devices are, carrying out preventative maintenance is indeed significant. Simply, because of its purpose to promote performance efficiency and sustainability.
Essentially, conducting maintenance or up-keeping ingeniously puts ship’s engines and mechanical systems up to date and in smooth running condition. Especially in a ship’s engine station where maximum machines are placed, the engineers and operators certainly carry out this activity. Needless to say, it’s for dynamic, safety, and by overall, efficient operations. So how does maintenance is done in ships? Essentially, all machinery aboard the vessel is required with proper maintenance. And, that must be carried out at the period of regular intervals.
No doubt, Preventative Maintenance is brought up with an effective planning and sufficient usage of equipment. Certainly, these are the keys in order to achieve a productive perpetuation or machinery or devices in every ship. Furthermore, the fact that this activity encompasses the equipment malfunctioning evaluation, would eventually, help to avoid any irrelevant and excessive machinery improvement. In essence, regular checking can help determine if repair or replacement is deemed necessary.
Due to the following objectives, a well-planned maintenance must be taken into action systematically or routinely:
- To secure that maintenance is executed with sufficient intervals, based on the schedule specified in the planned maintenance system.
- To preserve/control all machinery, engines, and other technical components in favorable working order every time. This is to prevent blockage or interruptions and to keep charter party speed and expenditure requirement.
- To hamper shut down and omission/negligence of work by encompassing all of the work
- To create a clear or fair boundary or distinction between shore and onboard maintenance work.
Every vessel’s productivity in its regular operations simply connects with adequate planning and effective usage of its equipment.
Inherently, this is why Preventative Maintenance is interpreted with the systematic investigation, detection, and adjustments of the incipient breakdown of failures. Such errors or failure on machinery can wither before they happened or before they ten into major deformities. As an illustration, there are different approaches to Preventative Maintenance used by vessels, depending on every ship’s distinct condition or situation.
- Corrective or Breakdown Maintenance – simply, this is applied when the equipment or machinery is in an unfavorable condition like being collapsed. However, such sustenance procedure is not a convenient method in the situation wherein the equipment is needed during an emergency. The benefit of this type of maintenance scheme is that the functionality of the machine parts is utilized until it breaks down.
- Scheduled or Preventative Maintenance System – or popularly known as Planned Maintenance System. It is carried out from a distinct perspective. That means, the PMS is implemented as per the continuous hours like 4000 hours, 8000 hours, etc. Or, through calendar intervals (monthly, yearly, etc.) of the ship’s machinery. Eventually, PMS is taken place regardless of the equipment’s condition. Even if the parts of machine or device are still functioning, they have to be replaced whenever stated in the schedule.
- Condition Maintenance System – is a kind of maintenance structure where all machinery are examined regularly. The status of the machines is repeatedly accessed through the assistance of the sensors of the vessels. The Condition Maintenance System makes maintenance to be accomplished accordingly. Moreover, this structure requires expertise since wrong interpretation and conduct may simply lead to damage or deterioration. Definitely, in return, more repair expenditures may be incurred and which may never be acceptable.
Allowing “Preventative Maintenance” is undeniably a critical decision to every shipping fleet.
It unquestionably helps keep a variety of ship’s equipment to be in tune. In fact, the most common causes of marine accidents are due to the weak points and shortcomings of a ship’s machinery. This basically explains the reason why an effective preventative maintenance must be on demand.